TRUST 25 YEARS OF CAT CALMING EXPERTISE
How to Help Your Cat Stop Hiding
Use FELIWAY® Optimum to help stop excessive hiding
- Hiding can be a sign that you cat is stressed or anxious
- FELIWAY® is vet recommended to help cats feel less stressed, and as a result help cats to reduce hiding
- Results seen within 7 days
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
- Learn where to buy
Understand why your cat may be excessively hiding
- Recent changes at home? (new furniture, redecorating, moving home)
- Visitors, new family member, new pet at home?
- Competition or tension with another cat?
Cats need to hide
- Provide multiple cat hiding spots (cardboard boxes or baskets)
- Easily accessible areas
- Cats like their space, they may just need some down time
Consult your veterinarian
- Underlying medical conditions can cause cats to hide
- Check with your vet if signs continue
See how FELIWAY® helped these Cats:
It worked - No more scratching!
WHY DO CATS HIDE?
It may seem like a normal behaviour for a cat to hide, but actually it can be a sign that they are unhappy and are trying to cope with something they find stressful.
Many things can cause your cat to hide away:
- People: cats commonly hide from visitors
- Noises: cats may hide if they are scared by sudden or loud noises
- Recent changes at home: adding new furniture, remodeling, new baby in the family etc.
- Another pet in the home (or in the neighborhood): cats don’t like sharing resources like their litterbox, food bowls, etc… this may cause one cat to hide
- Recent change in your routine: has your usual schedule changed leading you to be busier and less available?
- Also, several medical conditions cause pain or discomfort and maybe a reason for your cat to hide. If you cat spends most of its time hidden, consult your vet.
When your cat is hiding, leave them be, undisturbed. Stroking them when they are trying to hide could accidentally increase their level of stress. Wait for your cat to come to you and ask for attention.
Reward your cat, with food or petting, when they feel able to cope with a potentially challenging situation without hiding. This may encourage them to do this again!
Try to work out what is worrying them to help them feel more confident and spend more time out of hiding.
If you have several cats, give each cat their own food bowl, water bowl, litter box, etc. Put these in separate areas to avoid tension caused by competition.
Using FELIWAY Optimum will help keep your cat's sense of security and their interest in interacting with you.